It isn’t easy to shop for a camera. There are so many different models with different features and at many different price ranges. Prices on cameras can range from under $100 to well into the thousands.
The features can be just a basic camera or an advanced one but if you are not a professional and are just looking to point and shoot your camera then that’s exactly what you need- a point-and-shoot camera.
Basic Point-and-Shoot Cameras
The basic point-and-shoot camera works pretty much like a smartphone does as you simply find the object in your view that you want a photo of and press the button. There are different features offered in the various point-and-shoots cameras so they can be broken down into three separate categories:
* Basic are simple cameras that are very portable with their slim design. Some will have optical zoom range that can reach up to 23x. These cameras typically sell from $100 up to $450. These cameras work well in smaller areas such as your backyard or inside your home.
The basic point-and-shoot will not work well on long range shots. Your subject across the football field will probably not be clear or big enough to make out in a photo. The basic point-and-shoot usually has a touch screen for easy navigation on your menu settings and is very lightweight making it easy to take anywhere.
* Superzooms are great little point-and-shoots to take along to your kid’s or even your own games and concerts. These cameras have an optical zoom of 24x and there are even some that go as far as 83x. These point-and-shoots have a comfortable hand grip so you can stabilize the camera a bit easier than the basic. The prices range from $100 to $400 for this type of camera.
* Waterproof point-and-shoot cameras are great for taking your photos under water at a swimming pool or under water at the lake. The depth they can go down varies on these models; some can go down over 50 feet while others can only go a fraction of that depth. These cameras have a strengthened inner and outer case construction so many can also survive a drop of several feet and still keep working. The waterproof point-and-shoots sell from $100 to $350.
Specs make a difference
When you have a general idea of which camera is going to meet your needs you can begin to look at different specs that you may be looking for. They won’t tell you whether or not the camera is good they just tell you what you can do better with the different specs.
* Megapixel counts do not have as much importance these days as they once did. The different numbers you see representing megapixels tells you how fine the resolution of the final picture will turn out. They do not have as much importance due to the fact that every camera on the market now has enough of them for most people. The only reason you would need more than 16 megapixels is if you plan to turn your photo into a poster.
* Sensor size determines the performance of the camera as this is the chip inside the camera that captures the image. The larger the sensor the better the camera will perform in low light. The sensor information is located on the camera’s product page on the manufacturer’s website. Generally a camera that includes a sensor that is one inch or larger would be considered an advanced camera and would not fall into the basic point-and-shoot category.
* Size and weight will play a large factor in choosing a camera that will work for you. Will you travel a lot with it and need it to be small and lightweight? The point-and-shoots are generally the smallest camera and can be slipped into your purse, backpack or pocket easily. The great thing about this feature is that it is easy to have your camera with all the time; you are always ready for that great photo opportunity.
* Controls and menus are easier to change and work with if the camera has a touch screen. The screen size on the basic point-and-shoot is approximately 2 inches by 3.5 inches and the superzoom is about 4.1 x 4.1 inches and with their touch screens it makes changing their settings quick and easy.
The modern point-and-shoot cameras are very reliable and practical cameras for the ordinary photo taking opportunities a person wants to capture. There are many choices waiting for you to choose from that will cost less than $300 and now you know a little more about what to consider when you are ready to make your choice.
See the Bestselling Cameras on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of July 19, 2017 6:36 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.